We can do without some home appliances/tools. Then, a few others that every homeowner finds a use for sooner or later – a ladder is one of them. Step ladders are the most common and are probably the only type of ladder that most people are familiar with. However, a quick scan of ‘best ladders’ on the internet is bound to overwhelm anyone, given the umpteen choices. You’re spoilt for choice, from choosing from a wide range of ladder types and their weight capacity to their height and material. If you want a ladder that offers a little something more, check out ladders that boast special maneuverability features or ones equipped with special safety measures.
Want to geek out about some cool ladders? Let’s dive right in – here are our top picks of the best ladders:
Disclaimer – This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Little Giant Flip-N-Lite Aluminium Ladder
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Available in two heights – five and six feet.
- Suitable for any type of task.
- Easy to store.
Ohuhu Aluminium Telescoping Ladder
- Can be stored in compact spaces.
- One-button retraction system.
- Sturdy and reliable.
Cosco 2-step Folding Step Stool
- Ideal for home use.
- Lightweight and easily portable.
1. Little Giant Flip-N-Lite Aluminium Ladder
This aluminum ladder from Little Giant boasts an industrial-rated construction. It means that it is suitable for use on construction sites. Even though it can take on heavy-duty use, it is surprisingly lightweight. Its slim profile contributes to convenient transportation and storage. For users’ comfort, the ladder has a large standing platform. This way, you have ample space to stand securely as you work. Made of aluminum, it is sturdy and durable. The best part is you get to enjoy all these benefits at a reasonable price!
- Approved for industrial use.
- Its slim design allows for convenient portability.
- The large standing platform ensures your safety and comfort.
- Combination of strength and lightweight design.
2. Ohuhu Aluminium Telescoping Ladder
If convenience is top on the list of ‘must-haves’ in a ladder, this Ohuhu aluminum telescoping ladder will not disappoint. It features a convenient one-button retraction system that causes the ladder to slide down with the push of a button. It comes in two heights, 8.5 feet and 12.5 feet. With it, you can go about any kind of chore – from fixing light bulbs and painting walls to reaching for storage boxes in high places.
Material wise, it is made of premium aluminum alloy. Step on it with confidence because its non-slip end caps keep the ladder firmly in place. Ensuring your safety are its cleverly designed locking pins that secure each section of the ladder in place to prevent sliding. These pins also facilitate smooth retracting.
- Can carry up to 330lbs of weight.
- Locking pins prevent slipping and allow smooth retraction.
- Comes with safety features that keep the ladder firmly in place.
3. Cosco 2-step Folding Step Stool
The Cosco folding step stool is perfect for everyday use. It gives you the extra height you need to dust top kitchen cabinets or reach items placed on high shelves. Given its purpose, care is taken to make the stool as lightweight as possible, to make it easy to carry around from one room to another. The step’s slip-resistant safety feature allows you to confidently climb it and get on with chores without worrying about the ladder sliding. Its leg tips also serve another purpose – they keep the floors free of skid marks and such even if you happen to drag the ladder. What do you do with this ladder once you’re done using it? Simply fold it and put it away.
- Ideal for everyday chores where you need a height boost.
- Its leg tips prevent damage to flooring.
- Comes with slip-resistant security.
- Foldable to allow convenient storage.
- Suitable for limited tasks.
4. Little Giant Multi-use Ladder (22-foot)
Any list about the best ladders feels incomplete without this 22-foot, a multi-use ladder from Little Giant. It is one of the few ladders that allow a two-person use. It comes with A-frames in multiple sizes and an extension that doubles as a 90-degree ladder. There’s no job that you can’t use this ladder for. It is boosted with features that secure its stability and maneuverability, making it suitable for reaching difficult spaces around the house.
It is made of high-quality aluminum and allows 24 different configurations. Rock locks on the ladder allow easy length adjustments. One of the most special features about this ladder is its wide rungs that are responsible for lesser fatigue and pain on your feet while you’re on it.
- Its wide-flared legs and dual-pin hinge offer added stability.
- Convertible design allows you to use the ladder in five different ways.
- Wide rungs reduce foot fatigue while working.
- Has wider rungs than most other multi-use ladders.
- Some users report that accidents can happen if you’re not careful when adjusting its length.
5. Hihone Telescoping Ladder
With equipment like ladders, it’s all about convenience – are they easy to transport? Does their design allow easy storage? How much space do they take up when in use? This Hihone telescoping ladder takes all these factors into consideration so you have equipment that pleases you. For instance, it is collapsible, which means you can conveniently take it from one place to another around the house. Its collapsible nature also means the ladder won’t take up much space in the storeroom.
On the safety front, the ladder has finger safety adjustments in between rungs to prevent you from getting hurt during retraction and extension. The ladder lays out smoothly during retraction without any pinching of your fingers or jams. Additionally, it features non-slip end caps that keep the ladder firmly in place when in use.
- Made of non-corrosive materials.
- Equipped with the proper safety measures.
- Easily portable and convenient to store.
- Non-slip ends keep the ladder firmly in place.
- Can be heavy for some people.
6. Louisville Fiberglass Extension Ladder
This fiberglass extension ladder is credited with an IA rating on the ANSI ladder rating scale. The rating means that the ladder can support up to 300 lbs, allowing users to carry heavy items when on the ladder.
This particular ladder model comes in many sizes ranging from 16-feet to 40-feet. It also boasts the QuickLatch system (which is patented), that secures the base and fly sections of the ladder when it is extended. D-shaped rungs on the ladder prevent slipping. The ladder also has rail end caps that are mar-resistant to protect the surface it is on.
- Its ANSI IA rating makes it suitable for all kinds of construction, electrical, and utility tasks.
- Credited with safety standards that meet/exceed industry standards.
- D-shaped rungs are added for your comfort.
- MAXLOCK technology makes the ladder suitable for use in all weather conditions.
- Fiberglass ladders can be heavier than aluminum ones.
7. WolfWise Aluminium Telescopic Multi-purpose Ladder
This WolfWise multi-purpose ladder is a bestseller for many reasons. One of the chief reasons for its popularity is that with it, you get a high-quality product at a steal price. It beats traditional ladders with its smart-close system that makes retraction a one-button deal. Material wise, it is made of top-notch aerospace-engineered aluminum (6061). You must be thinking, ‘all that’s got to add weight to the ladder, don’t they?’ Here’s the tea – as formidable as this multi-purpose ladder is, it is surprisingly compact and lightweight.
- Compact enough to be stored under the bed.
- Suitable for a range of indoor and outdoor projects.
- Can hold up to 30 lbs weight.
- Its one-button extraction is smooth and quick.
- Some customers say they experience slight wobbles when on the ladder.
8. Yvan Aluminium Telescoping Ladder
The aluminum in this Yvan telescoping ladder is oxidized, and that helps prolong its longevity. Additionally, its plastic parts have reinforced nylon fabric so that the ladder’s load capacity is increased. To prevent abrupt stops when the step is retracting is its intelligent locking mechanism. It works to ensure that every step falls smoothly without any interruptions.
This Yvan ladder can carry a weight of up to 30 lbs – go about your chores confident that the ladder won’t crumble under pressure. You’ll find use for this ladder for tasks ranging from daily household chores to climbing trees.
- Equipped with features that make it more durable than most ladders.
- Its smooth, intelligent retracting system helps prevent accidents.
- Easily portable and convenient to store.
- One button push is all it takes to unfold this ladder.
- Foldable and does not take up much storage space.
- Requires you to fully extend it to lock the ladder.
9. Delxo 2-step Folding Step Ladder
Standing on stools precariously placed on top of each other so you can fetch things from top shelves isn’t ideal for many reasons. A safer option is to opt for this Delxo 2-step folding stool step. Trust us, it’s handy and won’t burn a hole in your pocket. It is sturdy and provides you with the height boost you need when reaching for/cleaning something. The steps are wide, so you have ample space to comfortably place your feet.
This stool step may look much smaller than the ladders on this list, but you’d be wrong to underestimate it. Despite its size, it can hold up to 300 lbs of weight. It also comes with features that hold it in place when you’re on the ladder. Once you’re done with the stool step, simply fold it and put it away.
- Ample foot space.
- Its foldable design allows easy portability and storage.
- Protected legs to prevent your floor from damage.
- Can double as a stool.
- Suitable for limited tasks.
10. Louisville Aluminium Attic Ladder
Wondering how you can install a ladder to your attic at a cost-friendly price? Check out this Louiseville aluminum attic ladder. It is made of premium aluminum and can carry up to 375 lbs of a person’s weight. To ensure your safety, the ladder has cross-tread steps that offer optimum traction when you climb up or down the stairs. Nobody likes wobbly stairs – to make sure none of that happens is this ladder’s heavy-duty hinges that keep it securely in place. Its wide clearance space allows you to reach the attic comfortably.
- Its heavy-duty hinges facilitate a smooth unfolding and prevent wobbling.
- A wide clearance opening offers easy access to the attic.
- Gas cylinders let you open and close the door with ease.
- The cost-friendly alternative to installing permanent attic stairs.
- May need quite a bit of additional work during installation.
Ladders Buyer’s Guide
The purpose of any ladder is the same: for a height boost. However, each ladder aims to serve a distinct function depending on its type, material, weight capacity, and material. Some factors to look into when buying ladders are:
Ladders fall into one of these five common categories – stepladder (offers free-standing use), telescopic (similar to extension ladders but can be collapsed even more), single-section (leans on an object and is ideal for everyday tasks), extension (extendable length), and multi-function.
Height & Reach
You want to know the ladder’s angle, the height of its highest standing point, and the number of overlaps in its sections to land on the ‘right’ one.
Every ladder comes with a specified weight capacity. This number indicates the total weight of the person and the tools he’s holding when on the ladder. You’ll want a large-weight ladder if you’re going to use it for construction.
Safety and Maneuverability
It goes without saying, a ‘good’ ladder comes with the right safety measures. It also helps if it’s convenient to transport and store.
Every household has chores that are impossible/more convenient with a ladder. It’s helpful to know what’s in it for you with every ladder type, so you make an informed buying decision. If you’re going to use your ladder for more than just reaching for things on high cabinets or changing light bulbs around the house, you can go for heavy-duty ladders that can take on construction-work-type stress.